30 Realistic Ways to Simplify Your Day & Your Life
30 Realistic Ways to Simplify Your Day, Your Life (and Be Happy While Doing it)
In this article I show you easy and realistic ways you can simplify your day and your life.
After nearly overcoming an era of extreme consumerism, it seems our society has finally taken steps to simplify their lives. Videos on minimalism’s lifestyle have gone viral and are now serious topics on TV shows.
I mean, it makes sense. We are now much more inclined into our wellbeing, and, being able to declutter our lives is definitely part of Wellness.
On that note, I have a FREE Printable Wellness planner to guide you on adopting a healthier life. Download yours now whilst it’s free.
I guess I consider myself a non-extreme minimalist. I easily get rid of things I no longer use (clothes and shoes mostly). I’m quite organized and I also travel extremely light. I often get asked how I’m able to sustain a simple lifestyle.
Well, I’ve never thought about it, until now.
For this reason, I thought it would be helpful to gather all the ways I know how to simplify my day and life and share it with you.
12 Ways to simplify your day at home
1 – Make a house chores’ to-do list
2 – Make a weekly shopping list. Leave it where it can be seen and add items as you go
3 – Plan your meals in advance. I usually do that on Sundays when I have time to think about new recipes
4 – For plant lovers : buy half artificial plants and the other half real ones. You will save time on maintenance
5 – Set reminders on your phone for your bills’ payment
6 – Clean up your dishes as soon as you finish cooking
7 – Get rid of at least one piece of clothes every month. Something you have not worn for more than 6 months.
8 – Get rid of home appliances you no longer use (makeup, old furniture boxes)
9 – Clean up your fridge and pantry of expired food
10 – Clean up your hand bag / wallet
11 – Don’t accumulate containers, shopping bags and boxes
12 – Place important documents in one folder which remains at the same place
10 Ways to simplify your life in 2020 & be happy
11 – Don’t accept what you no longer want (relationship, offers, etc…)
12 – Get rid of the guilt to throw away sentimental items
13 – Make a distinction between your needs and your wishes
14 – Have a monthly declutter in your phone (old photos, contacts you no longer speak to, etc..)
15 – Take a digital and social media break for 2 hours in a day
16 – Try only one new activity at a time (each month)
17 – Re-gift items you’re not using to charities
18 – Disable your phone notifications (it is a distraction)
19 – Practice mindfulness and the art of being present
20 – Learn to say no to protect your mental health
10 Ways to simplify your day
21 – Clearly define what is the priority today, to create a hierarchy in the tasks at hand
22 – Set reminders on your phone for important events
23 – Do one task at a time
24 – Clear your email box
25 – Reduce your TV time
26 – Clear your room/living space every morning, so the evening time can be left to relax and unwind
27 – If you do not live alone, share and divide the household chores evenly
28 – Plan your meals ahead
29 – Spend time alone and reset when it’s needed.
30 – Meditate
Products to simplify your life
No waste food wrapping paper (bee’s wax wrap). Not only it is great for the environment but that way you don’t need to worry about filling up your fridge with containers to wash.
Multicooker. Easy to use. Long durability and that allows you to get rid of the amounts of different you pots you own. Which take a crazy amount of space in the kitchen
Keyboard gel cleaner. For some of us our work all day on our laptops, we sometimes forget that these gadgets get extremely dirty. They apparently collect more germs than public toilet seats. It’s important to keep them clean and safe to use. Gel cleaners are great to avoid ruining our items (add pic)
Tea Infuser Mug. No need to worry about using a strainer when it’s all in one.
Apps to simplify your life
- Insight meditation app – It’s all in there. Why spend extra time searching for the perfect guided meditation video on YouTube. The app allows you to switch your phone to Airplane mode and enjoy your relaxing meditation.
- Banking apps – Most banks are now manageable online but it can be tricky to find the time to connect on our laptops. Download your bank app to have access to your latest payments and check it’s all under control.
- Slack – this app has known a huge success in the way we communicate at work. It merges an instant message box, an email box, and the share of files and group messages in one platform.
- Evernote – If you are like me and cannot live without lists then you will love Evernote. This app allows you to write, edit, and manage your notes and documents while synchronizing them in the devices of your choice.
Book on how to simplify your life
If there is one book you need to read on this topic, it is “The Power of Less” by Leo Babauta.
With the countless distractions that come from every corner of modern life, it’s amazing that we’re ever able to accomplish anything.
The Power of Less demonstrates how to streamline your life by identifying the essential and eliminating the unnecessary. Freeing you from everyday clutter and allowing you to focus on accomplishing the goals that can change your life for the better.
The Power of Less will show you how to:
- Break any goal down into manageable tasks
- Focus on only a few tasks at a time
- Create new and productive habits
- Increase your efficiency
By setting limits for yourself and making the most of the resources you already have. You’ll finally be able to work less, work smarter, and focus on living the life that you deserve.
Favourite quotes to help you simplify your life
If you are a visual person and like things such as vision boards, or if you just like to write down quotes and affirmations everywhere, here are some of my favorite quotes on how to simplify your life :
“The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak”
“As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.”
Henry David Thoreau
“Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.”
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”
Leonardo da Vinci
“Simplicity is an acquired taste. Mankind, left free, instinctively complicates life.”
Katherine F. Gerould
I challenge you to simplify your life
That’s it, your turn now to show yourself you can adapt to a simpler life. I challenge you to :
- 1 – Make a list of all your belongings (except furniture such as a washing machine, as we all have one). Yes, all of it.
- 2 – Every month, write down 2 items you wouldn’t mind loosing in a house fire. Get rid of them. If you’re not able to, ask yourself why.
- 3 – Make a list of the things you got rid of. Do you regret or miss anything ? How does that make you feel ?
- 4 – Think about an item that you cannot live without. Check to see how long you can live without using it.
I totally understand that it is easy to feel overwhelmed but think about it, when these hacks become habits your life will be much simpler. You will feel free. If you have any doubts, next time just ask yourself the following questions :
- Do I need this or I wish to have it?
- Am I already owning something that will fulfill the same need?
- Does something non-material will fulfill this need?
- Can I buy this second hand or vintage?
- Can I borrow what I need from a relative or friends?
- Have I used this more than 50 times?
- Can I really afford it?
- Could I live without it?
I hope this article on ways to simplify your day and life was useful. I would love to know what are the hacks you are using to adopt a simple life. Share them with the community.